Help! Theirs a Typoo in My Book!
It never fails. You go through your manuscript. You catch the big problems (the six-foot tall bad guy becomes five-foot-one three chapters later), fix the continuity problem (She got married two books ago. What’s a fiancé doing here?), have eagle-eyed copy-editors track down the lingering hints of older sentences and verbs that had switched tenses mid-paragraph.
Your formatted text is perfect. You upload the book. All is well. You download the book. You open to the first chapter. . .
It’s amazing, really, all the problems I can find once the book is published. This time it was a strange formatting error that had a non-chapter chapter, and some typos that got introduced during revision that I’d managed to miss.
Fixing the typos was easy, once I made note of what and where. I have some readers who are kind enough to send glitch and error catches to me in private, and those were tended to as well.
The formatting problem was more serious. Vellum didn’t want to let me delete the “chapter,” so I had to go to the .docx document, remove the title line that had confused Vellum, and then re-upload that into Vellum. The good news is, when you do that, you don’t lose other formatting. The dedication, afterward, author’s note, and other things stay.
While I was in there, I changed an awkward phrase that had jumped out at me, and tidied up a repeated repeat of a repeated adjective. Then I re-converted to .MOBI, uploaded the edited and repaired edition, and relaxed.
We’re spoiled, those of us who do e-book publishing with places like D2D and the ‘Zon. We don’t have to wait for the print run to discover tyops, and to fix them. Ideally, we wouldn’t have them in the first place, but Murphy was an optimist, and there was a reason the Printer’s Devil existed.
Something eerie, yet Familiar, stalks shadow mages as Lelia Chan deals with an even greater problem: the Halloween retail rush!