The experiment of paying someone else to write my blurb is in, and I’m happy with the results. Here it is:
“After waiting ten long years for Richart Dalkey to realize she’s no longer the awkward young girl he grew up with, Elspet is thrilled when he finally comes to pay her court . . . until he divulges the true reason for his visit. His proposition? A sham engagement to discourage debutante Dorothea Turvoll, who’s infatuated with Richart and whom his mother wants him to marry. Elspet convinces him to pretend he’s desperately in love with her and actually court her instead, certain that with time—and a little bit of magic—he’ll see they’re meant to be together.
But another woman in Din Eidyn has her sights set on Richert, as well as some dark magic of her own, and she’ll stop at nothing to win the one man who can give her the social standing she desperately desires. Before long, the charade gets out of hand, and as scandal engulfs the ton, Elspet must decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice for the love she’s always wanted.”
It’s a bit longer than ideal, and I considered cutting the second paragraph. But then I thought, if people want to stop reading after the first paragraph, they can. And if they’re interested enough to continue, why not give them a bit more?
If anybody’s interested, the blurb service I used is https://www.polgarusstudio.com/.
I have finally assembled all the images and files I need to publish this book and the Kindle version should be live soon, the print one slightly later.
Last month’s experiment in kick-starting a book (as in, kicking myself to get going) has been… meh… half successful. I’d hoped to have both background research and a detailed plot outline by now. The measure I chose was time spent on either activity, because “Put in half an hour taking notes on this book,” or “Spend half an hour working on a plot problem” are measurable and achievable. I was not happy to discover how quickly I got tired and how little time I actually put in, but at least I did something. Unfortunately, research ate up the majority of my time. This month I’m putting plotting front and center and continued research on the back burner.