Hugo voting is closed, and yes, I’ve submitted my votes. In two weeks the Worldcon will be upon us and I’ll be in Kansas City, probably panicking and flapping over trying to get Puppy Central organized – because life keeps getting in the way.
Just for perspective, since I started this last year, I’ve had to deal with:
- Being diagnosed with diabetes
- Adjusting to the diabetes medication
- Changing my diet dramatically
- The Kitten. Who is currently waking us up around 5am. Every morning. I have kitten-induced sleep deprivation.
- Expectations whiplash at work, complete with two major changes in direction and no idea what the next one will be.
- Two and a half months of project death march
- Becoming a citizen of the USA (complete with several panic attacks)
- And of course normal life as well.
This is why I didn’t do as much as I’d wanted with a lot of things. Things like an application to collect recommendations and auto-build the list so that no matter when anyone looked, they’d see the current state of things. Things like getting my assorted ducklings in their nice little rows before now. Like posting more to the site.
Honestly, I’ve been fighting to just keep up, mostly because I’m – like so many folks here – lurching from crisis to crisis. WorldCon will be the third time this year I’ve gone to a convention expecting it to be a quieter, more relaxing time than I’ve been having at work. Usually it’s completely the opposite: I go to a con, have a blast, and I go back to work to relax.
I’ve enjoyed the experience, and I’m planning to enjoy the last hurrah of Sad Puppies 4. It won’t be an alcohol-fueled enjoyment on my part because I can get tipsy off the fumes – thank you ever so much, medications – but it will be as good as I can make it.
And if there are any puppy-supporters who are good at party organization please contact me because I suck to high heaven at social anything. Even – or possibly especially – private parties at conventions.