The Deep Breath Before The Dive
Comments have now been closed on the recommendations pages at the Sad Puppies 4 site so I can collate with a static data set. That’s the easy part.
The collation starts this weekend, which should be interesting in a try not to go cross-eyed kind of way. It’s a good thing I test software for a living: this is exactly the kind of fiddly, persnickety job that software testers do well.
Mind you, if I’m doing something like this again, I’ll write a freaking app to collect the suggestions because this is not the kind of thing I want to be doing more than once (Lazy tester’s axiom: do it once, right). I can manage that level of coding without too much trouble – and anything with a database behind it I can pull what I need without issues.
So… what next for the fearless Queen Bitch?
- Nominations close on March 31st.
- I will have The List done by mid-March, leaving a minimum of two weeks to get nominations in.
- The List will be a top 10 (or closest – not all the categories had enough suggestions for that) for each category, with links to the full list for anyone who wants to see it.
- If you’ve read it/seen it/watched it and think it really is one of the best of its kind for the year, go right ahead and nominate it. If you think something else is, nominate that.
- After nominations close, things will go quiet-ish for a while, because I’ll be at Lunacon the weekend of the 20th, at Ravencon the following month, and work is kind of nuts (when is it not?)
- Once the nominations are announced, I’ll be nagging the people I know with much more reach than me to do book/whatever bombs to encourage people to read/watch/view/whatever before voting.
- (Yes, that does mean I’ll keep nagging people to sign up to vote. Moar, remember?)
- I will be attending MidAmericon 2, barring disaster. Details here are still in flux, but I’m working on it.
That said, it’s time for the obligatory notices:
Obligatory notice 1: It might be too late to sign up to nominate, but you can still sign up to vote!
Obligatory notice 2: Read, watch, listen to, then nominate.
Obligatory notice 3: If I don’t play fetch with the demon berserker kitten now I will suffer the consequences.