In the last week some interesting things have happened – for Chinese curse versions of interesting. Apparently whatever is causing the rancid outbreaks of frothing idiocy has not abated with the retreating plague of pollen.
Among the most special of a series of truly special cases would be the threadsplosion on Facebook in a closed group supposedly dedicated to Heinlein. Those who were involved in the way this blasted the group traffic from piddling to being unable to type a one-liner before half a dozen more messages came in know which one I mean.
Let’s just say it’s a trifle startling to have a moderator on a Heinlein group do any of these things much less all of them:
- threaten a group member with expulsion for a “patronizing tone” (after said group member had offered – politely – corrections to the moderator and moderator’s friend posting false allegations)
- claim having facts offered after said moderator posted comments that were provably false
- shift goalposts at dizzying speed
- run through the entire troll playbook, then start again
- nuke the thread and several of its children, thereby hiding all evidence of misbehavior
- admit (eventually) that the whole tirade was about wrongpeople having badthink
- refuse to acknowledge that people in possession of the facts of the matter were members of the group, much less ask them to clarify/explain.
- insist on being treated with respect because moderator
- turn around and break every single rule/convention/desired behavior cited when responding to polite dissension
- and that’s not even touching the many other things that would have Heinlein spinning so fast in his grave you could power Colorado City if you hooked up a dynamo.
Funnily enough, that group’s membership dropped sharply after Ye Greate (im)Moderator nuked the threads (as well as during the whole mess and people grew disgusted with Ye Greate (im)Moderator’s demonstration of incompetence.
I’ve come to the conclusion that this person did not read the same Heinlein I did. Possibly the books were imported from the universe where Heinlein was a passionate SJW (that universe has issues. It implodes every few seconds because the multiple logical and physical impossibilities can’t be sustained by the power of belief for any longer than that – so those Heinleins are extremely rare. They also have to be kept in a special vault lined with neuteronium because they implode and recreate themselves in sync with their universe. Makes it hard to read them.)
At any rate, what set this off was Ye Greate (im)Moderator’s Wonderful Friend posting a vicious rant that blamed Sad Puppies for almost everything except bubonic plague. Said rant was – of course – entirely devoid of fact, but contained the entertaining notion that all Sad Puppies are minions of the Evil Lord of Evil Himself.
That’s right. A supposed fan of Heinlein – one of the biggest champions of Mind Your Own (fisking) Business and judging on the color of one’s actions and character rather than one’s political affiliations – was dishing out guilt by association and using the SJW war cry “But VOX DAAAAAAAAY” when questioned.
The rot is deep. The false apostles are everywhere.
And don’t forget, review the WorldCon 2017 Site Selection bids and pay your $40 to vote for the one you prefer: you’ll get automatic supporting membership for WorldCon 2017 before the price goes up.